- hot water
- Rit Dye ( I used black and magenta)
- three glass containers (I used large mason jars)
- wax paper or plastic cover ( I use white plastic party tablecloths from the Dollar Store)
- two-three large paint brushes
- two sponges
- white cotton fabric to make table runner or store bought white cotton table runner
- To mix the dye, follow the instructions on the back of the Rit Dye packet.
- In addition to your dyes, fill one glass container with clear warm water.
- Over covered area (on wax paper or plastic cover), lay out white table runner. Dip your brush into one of the colored dye and brush onto one end of the table runner. You want the ends to be very dark.
- Keep brushing inward and with a clean paint brush, splatter clear water onto the runner to lighten the color.
- As you get closer to the center, take your sponge and dip it into the clear water. Then with small strokes, use the sponge across the fabric making it a lighter more blended tone. This is the end of the first color.
- With a new color, or the same color, repeat steps 3-5.
- Hang or lay dry for 8 hours.