You guys… I think I’ve done it. I’ve cracked the Paleo, gluten-free chocolate chip cookie code! Eeeeek! I’m so excited! Not only because #1. They are ah-mazing and I get to share them with you! but, #2. I tend to be a “cookie person” and now I can fulfill my dream of a decadent, delicious, choco-chip cookie! Hallelujah! Personally, I much rather have an amazing, soft, chewy, warm cookie as a dessert than some big ol’ brownie. You feel me? Knew you would, that’s why I just love you so!
Anyway, I wish I had some great story to tell about how I came to find this delicious, marvelous, LIFE-CHANGING recipe. But, it was kind of just a zen baking moment. All the right moves, proportions and BAM! Cookie history.
Now, for all you Paleo police people, don’t get all ancestral on me… I understand this probably isn’t truly “Paleo”. Yes, it is indulging. But, let me tell you… This little cookie can hold its own. Meaning, it’s as close as you’re going to get to Paleo. Let’s look at the facts, shall we? Does this recipe have processed sugars? NO! Does it have any preservatives and/or additives? Heck, NO! Is it made from corn or weird oils? NO and NO! Is it gluten-free, dairy-free, and derived from wholesome, REAL ingredients? YUP! Is it absolutely the best cookie you’ll ever eat? YOU BET!
I don’t know about you, but those are good enough reasons for me! No need to thank me, you having you here is enough.
- 1 cup coconut crystals
- 1/4 cup local honey
- 1/4 cup palm shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat silicon baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, baking powder and salt together, then set aside. Next, in a standing mixer, combine the coconut crystals, honey and shortening. Mix on medium speed until mixture is fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until well combined.
- Then, take flour mixture and add it to the egg mixture. Mix on low until dough is smooth. Lastly, stir in mini chocolate chips. Place the cookie dough (the entire bowl) into the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours to chill. Or to speed up the process, put the dough into the freezer for 30 minutes. This allows dough to become formable.
- Once dough is ready, using a ice cream scooper and form round, golf sized balls. Then, with your hands flatten the dough making a cookie shape, about 2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Continue to do this with all the dough. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 15 minutes before serving.